Aktualności:

Czy uczestniczysz w Projekcie miesiąca?

Menu główne

No to mamy nową punktację

Zaczęty przez pawzdy, 12 Kwiecień 2014, 10:09

pawzdy

News z BM :

Collatz Conjecture: Switching To CreditNew
The majority of BOINC projects are using CreditNew and includes all the largest projects. After much deliberation and more than a few run-ins with the credit cops, Collatz will switch to the CreditNew system beginning tomorrow.

I expect both the GPU and CPU credits will be drastically reduced because of this change but it will result in cross project parity at a level never before seen in BOINC. Since the basis of CreditNew is that credit is based on hardware across projects and not how well the hardware works on any one project, some changes to the applications will also be required. Not all projects have 64-bit applications or can make use of 64-bit math. As a result, a user running 32-bit windows on his 64-bit processor today only gets half as much credit because he only works half as fast as the user with a 64-bit operating system. That just isn't fair. The user doing half the work should get the same amount of credit because he has the same CPU. So, I will be removing all 64-bit Collatz applications. In addition, all assembly language and intrinsic optimizations will also be removed so that the applications run at a level that compares with the BOINC benchmarks since the benchmarks do not take into account any of those optimizations.

GPU optimizations will also be removed and all applications will be downgraded where ever possible to the oldest possible version. For example, CUDA 1.0 will now be the standard so that the project does not take advantage of any features not supported by the oldest nVidia GPU as it wouldn't be fair to the person who spend hundreds of dollars on a new GPU to get more credits just because his hardware works faster at certain calculations. The new Collatz GPU applications will only be allowed to run a few times faster than the CPU applications. That will allow Collatz to achieve parity with projects which have GPU applications that can't run in parallel very well. In order to assure that the oldest software will be used, all applications will be migrated to COBOL and entered via punch cards.

If your CPU or GPU is currently overclocked, you can dial it back since it will no longer matter. It has been said that credits are not worth anything. I think the contrary is true. Credits cost money. You hardware will now last longer because of this change and the result is that it will save you money. If you stop crunching altogether, just think how much money you will have!

Sure, some will see the lower credits at Collatz as a bad thing. But, think of it this way... While the credit will go down in Collatz, it really won't matter since all the Collatz applications will run at a level not seen since Apple IIe and DEC PDP-11s. You won't have to worry that your computer is getting less credits while using the same amount of electricity because even if you switch to another project, your credits and electric bill will remain constant. You will get less credit but the CEO's of the power companies will still get their bonuses thanks to your contributions.

Finally, because new volunteers who join the project won't ever be able to catch up to the credit leaders due to the switch to using CreditNew, the total credits will also be adjusted for all users, hosts, and teams. You will see an 80% reduction. But, on the bright side, you will be able to achieve those mega milestones tracked at FreeDC all over again!
2014-04-01 14:55:43 · więcej...
PC1: Zezłomowany
PC2: GIGABYTE H77M-D3H, IB i5-3330S, GTX760
PC3: HP, SB i5-2500

Troll81

czy ten news nie jest aby z 1.04??
Cytattoday only gets half as much credit because he only works half as fast as the user with a 64-bit operating system.

Cytatit wouldn't be fair to the person who spend hundreds of dollars on a new GPU to get more credits just because his hardware works faster at certain calculations.

CytatThe new Collatz GPU applications will only be allowed to run a few times faster than the CPU applications.

CytatIn order to assure that the oldest software will be used, all applications will be migrated to COBOL and entered via punch cards.

CytatIf you stop crunching altogether, just think how much money you will have!

Cytatall the Collatz applications will run at a level not seen since Apple IIe and DEC PDP-11s.

pawzdy

Masz rację, jest data w stopce, nie wiem czemu ja dostałem dziś, staram się czytać powiadomienia na bieżąco. Mea culpa.
PC1: Zezłomowany
PC2: GIGABYTE H77M-D3H, IB i5-3330S, GTX760
PC3: HP, SB i5-2500

LQG

pawg

Widocznie wcześniej BM nie łączył się z serwerem projektu